Skip to main content

Meet Ruthie Tompson the Disney Animation Pioneer who has survived both the Spanish flu and the Corona virus



Born in 1910 in Portland Maine, Ruthie Tompson was just 8 when the Spanish flu pandemic broke. 


While her memories of that cataclysm are thin ("I was young at the time"), she's spoken of wearing a mask, amid crowds of others doing the same, during celebrations that marked the end of World War I.

Tompson, a longtime Disney animation supervisor and now the oldest resident at the Motion Picture & Television Fund's Country House and Hospital, turns 110 in COVID-19 quarantine on Wednesday. She's celebrating by attempting to raise $110,000 in support of a postproduction suite at the Woodland Hills campus' in-house television and video facility, where she and other retirees have spent countless hours continuing to pursue their industry crafts.


Asked about the secret to her longevity, Tompson offers jokes: "It's because I'm a vampire!"; "How can I tell you my secret, because then it won't be a secret!"; "I'm a dummy for living this long!" Then she turns serious. "I don't know why I am still here, but I know that I don't want to be revered for how old I am, I want to be known for who I am."

Comments